Sunday Sevens (number 12)


I haven't written any Sunday Sevens this year, mainly due to the lack of photographs (I don't really use my mobile phone so it's never charged up). So in an effort to get back into the swing of things this is a very brief snap-shot of what's been happening in 2016 so far.... breaking and entering Canterbury Cathedral, gorging on ice-cream, burning a million boxes, wrestling dog poo and shopping for office bras.

1. In January The Beaney in Canterbury had a Star Wars toys exhibit which Mr Husband wanted to see. I, however, found a much better exhibit called Cardboard Canterbury, a look at the city through the eyes of those experiencing homelessness. It really was a good exhibit with work by adults which offered a commentary on homelessness, or had an element of escapism. Loved it. My mum was with me at the time, and having dismissed the Star Wars exhibit as 'bloody boring', she found a bench in the Cardboard Canterbury exhibit and reckoned she could see everything from there. She couldn't, but she didn't move. I think people thought she was part of the exhibit.


2. I haven't stopped burning boxes; it has been happily manic. Here are just some of the boxes I've made this year and I've got to get a move on and do eleven more before mid-March. But enough about boxes, I think I've bored you enough!


3. Whenever me and my little girlie are having lunch in our favourite cafe (we call it our 'secret cafe' which makes it sound much more magical than it is) she always asks if we can explore Canterbury Cathedral. Every time we go (which is a lot) I see something different, it's such an amazing place. The last time we went it was fairly empty of tourists, so we were given a mini tour by one of the lovely guides and he let us go inside the Dean's Chapel which is usually locked! Thinking about it, I hope he was an official guide otherwise we've been breaking and entering! Anyway, in this little chapel there was the tomb of Charles Fotherby who died in 1619. His tomb is fabulously macabre with human skeletons, skulls and bones carved from alabaster, which look eerily realistic. Of course I have no photos of that due to the disfunctional relationship I have with my mobile phone. I do have a photo of the beautiful vaulted ceiling though! Go and google the tomb if you want to see it, I can't be carrying around a bloody phone all the time because you're too lazy to google!


4. So my diet started in January just as a new ice cream parlour opened up in Canterbury! What great luck! I have managed to stay away from 'heaven on earth' as I call it, but a couple of weeks ago (needing to reward myself) I went ON MY OWN to have this fabulous creation. It's got Ferrero Rochers on it! And it was delicious! Enough said! I'm now back on the diet, and back to the internal dialogues of ME trying to convincing ME that I no longer eat crap. I do like crap, but don't let ME know.


5. Another place we have been to a lot is Whistable. We love it here so much, and apart from the HUGE amount of dog poo, we always have a great time. The best bit is exploring the little alleyways, welly-paddling in the sea, having a drink in the Windy Stores Cafe and then back to the car to transport dog turd after dog turd back to Canterbury on girlies shoes and scooter. Honestly, she starts off a metre tall and by the time we've walked around Whitstable she's a metre and a half. Love it!


6. Swimming lessons for girlie and two of her little friends have started and it's brilliant for three fabulous reasons: one, she's learning to swim; two, she's spending time with her lovely friends; and three, I DONT HAVE TO GO IN WITH HER! I don't have to spend an hour practically naked, mostly out of the water, chasing her around in front of the student population of Canterbury. It is brilliant.


7. The big thing that has happened so far this year is that I will be going back to my old job, two days a week to coincide with my girlie being at preschool. I've managed to avoid all mention of work up until now, but the offer came along and I decided to take it. My way of preparing myself mentally is to write a list of stuff to buy. This is my actual list, and you can see that it's all about the clothes and the stationery. We all need a good ring binder and bra to make a good impression! Just have to get the dog shit off my shoes!


Well, thanks for reading my waffle. I'll try and write my Sunday Sevens on time, that's if I can remember my phone! Xxxx


Comments

  1. Phew! For one horrible moment I thought you really had snuck into the Cathedral without paying haha!!! So sorry to hear you have poo issues with Whitstable, I can assure you none of the poo belongs to my pooches!
    Good luck going back to work, you will be a star I'm sure! Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see you back with your Sunday Sevens! You always make me laugh out loud! Glad to hear you've had a great start to the year & congratulations on the job front!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments…

Popular Posts